Advisory Group Member
Location: New College Doncaster
Closing Date: Friday 14th July
About this Opportunity
Outstanding local governance is vital to the success of our academies and brings an exciting opportunity to contribute to the local community. New Collaborative Learning Trust (NCLT) is looking for parents and other local stakeholders who have the commitment and time to join our Advisory Group at New College Doncaster. The core functions of the Advisory Group are: to ensure the aims, visions and values of the Trust are embedded and upheld at a local level; to hold local executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils; to ensure students are safe, supported and well prepared for the future.
We would welcome applications from individuals from all walks of life and a wide range of backgrounds and particularly those with strong educational, commercial and strategic skills including, but not limited to:
- Growth Management
- Human Resources
- Governance or Committee leadership
The Advisory Group meet around six times a year, outside of the core day, with meetings taking place either on site or virtually via Teams and usually last approximately 1.5 hours.
Being a member of the Advisory Group is a voluntary position and we are extremely grateful to the highly skilled group of people who commit their time and expertise to our academies.
New College Doncaster, an academic sixth form college, offers a distinctive young adult ethos and is a great place to work and study. With 1500 students, New College Doncaster has grown rapidly since opening in 2017 and students make exceptional progress in both A level and level 3 applied general courses. The college is proud to have been rated ‘outstanding’ in all categories in its 2021 Ofsted inspection: ‘’Students at New College Doncaster experience a culture of very high expectations, which supports them to maximise their potential and achieve their aspirations. Teachers challenge students to be the best that they can be, to have very high levels of attendance and punctuality, and to develop strong, independent learning skills.’’ The three Colleges within the Trust work closely together, presenting exiting opportunities for collaboration, support, development and progression.
For further details please email email@example.com and to apply, please complete the short application form available at the bottom of this page.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
Information for Prospective Applicants
Thank you for expressing of interest in our governance for New Collaborative Learning Trust.
We recommend you view the amended version of our Governance Framework (available on our website) which set out the governance structure of the Trust and the terms of reference for the different Boards. You can also find a person specification and role descriptor for the role.
Under Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022 it is important that we follow a process in obtaining key information about new Advisors/Directors/Members. The first stage of this is to complete the attached Application Form and skills audit so we can identify where boards have collective strengths or gaps.
We would also like to draw your attention to the following restrictions which prevent trustees or members from holding office:
- They are under the age of 18;
- They are currently a pupil at the academy;
- They have failed to attend meetings within a six-month period without apologies being accepted by the trustees;
- They are subject to a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order; interim bankruptcy restriction order; a debt relief restrictions order; an interim debt relief restrictions order; or they have been declared bankrupt and/or their estate has been repossessed for the benefit of creditors and the declaration or seizure has not been discharged, annulled or reduced;
- They have been disqualified as a company director or failed to make a payment under a country court administration order;
- They have been disqualified as a charity trustee; found to be unsuitable by the Secretary of State; or cease to be a trustee under any provision in the Companies Act 2006;
- They have been removed as a charity trustee on the grounds of misconduct or mismanagement;
- They have been convicted of any criminal offence except those ‘spent’ under the rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, or those for which the maximum sentence is a fine or lesser sentence unless they have been convicted of an offence outlines in Section 178 of the Companies Act 2011;
- They have not provided an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service DBS check to the chair, or where they have, the chair, chief executive officer or principal or Secretary of State determines that their unsuitability to work which children renders them disqualified;
- They become incapable by reason of illness or injury of managing or administering their own affairs.
Completion and submission of the Application Form assumes you have read the above and that none of these restrictions applies. We will also request two references at this stage. If you are currently working we would like one of these references to be your current employer.
Please note that for parent advisors we may have to undertake a ballot election process is there are more applicants than places.
For all vacancies there will be shortlisting process and should you be successful we will invite you to shadow a meeting of the committee and assuming you wish to continue with your application this will then be taken to the appropriate board for approval. Once approved we will then ask you to complete the following:
- Complete a register of interests which we have to publish on our website.
- Provide a recent photograph for our website which we display along with a short pen profile.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service application form to be completed and returned to our Human Resources Department along with relevant documentation.
- Complete mandatory on-line training in safeguarding, Prevent, GDPR and Equality and Diversity. If in your present role you have recently completed similar training and can provide us with suitable evidence this can be used instead.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your application further before completing the application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org.